The Science of Sound
Harmonize your body and mind with a crystal sound bowl and gong bath.
Hawaiʻi Island is for adventurers. You already know this. You’ve hit up remote beaches, climbed over fresh lava flows, and maybe even hiked an active volcano or two. So when you’re ready for something a little different, or those days when your aura could use a glow-up and it’s time to soak in rich soothing tones, weʻve got you covered. Take a Sound Bath Meditation Journey at the Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary. Dip into the world of sound and vibration. Because a traveler like you knows how to take care of your body, mind, and spirit.
Price: $40 Minimum age is 8 years old | Duration: around 1 hour | Rated: Easy.
What is a sound bath, you ask?
A sound bath is an immersive sound experience that soothes and aligns your energetic and emotional body and mind into balance! This is done by utilizing harmonic sounds and frequencies generated by crystal bowls and other vibrational instruments. Surrounded by the native ʻōhiʻa lehua forest, you will be guided through a relaxing meditation as a group. All you need to do is show up and your guide will provide everything that you need to feel comfortable and relaxed for this rejuvenating sound experience.
“EVERYTHING IS VIBRATION”
Healing With Harmonic Frequencies
Experiencing a sound bath really is a bit like stepping into a tub, but instead of water, you’re inundated with sound. Now, it's not as if you’re just cranking up the radio — you’re not listening to the latest Top 40 bops during a session. Sound baths don’t use melody or even rhythm in the way we traditionally think about music.
Ultimately, the goal of a sound bath is to release and relax. Concentrating on the ethereal sounds created by gongs, chimes, and crystal bowls is your reprieve from the monkey mind that is often relentless in its mental gymnastics. Deep rest, the kind offered in a sound bath, can help bring your energetic body into balance. Tell the mind to sit this one out.
A Cloud Forest
The Perfect Setting for Transformation
Rare experiences kind of seem to be the norm here in paradise. A Sound Bath Meditation Journey is no different. First off, it’s taking place in the Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary. It’s at that sweet spot on Hualālai that ranges from 2500 – 5000 feet in elevation; a 50-mile-long swath about five miles wide. Sometimes you could get water falling down in big fat drops the way you might expect in a tropical place. This is a cloud forest. So during the rainy season we advise guests to bring a rain jacket in case of showers.
The very nature of a cloud forest is self-sustaining. Trees cool their habitat by shading the ground and drawing water up into the canopy. Moist air rising up the mountain cools and turns to clouds. This foggy precipitation maintains the forests that created it. Cloud forests are rare. The Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary even more so because it’s a seasonally dry cloud forest. Winters are the dry season on the Kona side of Hawaiʻi. And if you’re visiting during the summer, expect it to be even more misty.
Sound Bath Meditation Journeys run multiple times a week at the Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary. Book ahead to reserve your spot and arrive 10 minutes before the start time. To get there, take Palani Road from the hotel. Turn up the mountain on Kaloko Drive, which winds upward until Hue Street. Parking is on the street. Walk up to the forest platform. Blankets and cushions will be provided. You're encouraged to bring any items to support your experience like pillows, blankets, eye masks, and a journal for reflection afterward. Wear clothes that will keep you warm and comfortable. Groups are kept small to receive an individualized experience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I explore the Sanctuary on my own or do I need a guide?
- We offer guided tours only through the Sanctuary and therefore do not allow anyone to explore the Sanctuary on their own. For safety purposes as well as it creates a much better experience when you learn the story of this privately stewarded land from your tour guide!
When are your Sound Baths?
- We offer Sound Baths multiple days of the week. Check our Sound Bath schedule for the most up to date availability.
What do I need to bring for the Sound Bath?
- We provide cushions and blankets. Please feel free to bring your own pillow and blanket as well! We also encourage an eye mask, a journal to reflect on your experience post sound bath journey, crystals, and anything else you’d like to wear to stay warm and comfortable.
When should I arrive for the Sound Bath?
- We ask that you arrive 10 minutes before the Sound Bath begins. The Sound Bath will begin on time, so it’s important that you arrive early so that you are ready to begin at the start time.
Do you have a bathroom?
- Yes, we have a bathroom for use.
Do you have drinking water and food available?
- We do not have water or food available at this time, please come prepared with what you need.
Do you have a trash can?
- We do not have a trash can. Please follow pack in and pack out guidelines. Any trash / wrappers that is brought in by you needs to be brought out by you. When we all do our part we keep the Sanctuary, the forest and the trails clean.
What is your cancellation policy?
- Customers will receive a full refund, credit, or rebooking with up to 48 hours notice of cancellation. There are no refunds or rebooking within 48 hours of your reservation.
- No refunds will be issued due to weather unless operations are canceled by the operator.
- Customers will receive a full refund, credit, or rebooking in case of operator cancellation due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Contact us by phone to cancel, rebook, or inquire about a cancellation.
- No refunds will be issued to no-show’s.
Where are you located?
- We are located 15 minutes up the mountain from the Kailua-Kona Airport and 20 minutes from Kailua-Kona town.